These crunchy Italian biscuits are perfect for dunking into a festive coffee or serving as an after dinner treat. They also make a great foodie gift packed into clear gift bags and tied with ribbon and a Christmas label!
Ready in 1 hour, plus cooling time
- 50g unsalted butter, softened
- 100g golden caster sugar
- 1 medium egg, beaten
- Finely grated zest from 1 orange
- 50g dark chocolate chips
- 50g walnut pieces
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 175g plain flour, plus extra for kneading
- Preheat the oven to 180C, fan 160C, Gas 4. Cream the butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl until pale and fluffy, then beat in the egg and orange zest.
- Sift over the baking powder and flour and stir well until combined. Turn the mixture out onto a lightly floured surface and knead to a soft dough, adding a little more flour if necessary.
- Divide the dough into two pieces and shape each to an oval shape roughly 20cm x 10 cm. Place on a large baking sheet and flatten slightly. Bake for 20-25 minutes until firm and light golden. Cool for 5 minutes.
- Transfer the two pieces of semi-baked dough to a chopping board and, using a sharp knife, cut each piece into 10 slices.
- Return the slices, cut-side down, to the baking sheet and bake for a further 8-12 minutes until crisp and golden. Cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes then transfer to a wire rack and leave to cool completely.
The biscotti will keep in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks. You can change the nuts – try pecans, toasted almonds or hazelnuts, if preferred.